This week, Congress will vote to reauthorize the Child Care and Development Block Grant (CCDBG) of 2014 (S.1086), one of the largest sources of federal funding for child care assistance for low-income families.
Urge your Senators and Representatives to VOTE YES on CCDBG and support a program that has not been reauthorized since 1996!
S.1086 includes new changes that are CRITICAL to improve program access and quality. Some of the key changes include:
- Stronger health and safety standards for all child care programs that receive federal funding, including required annual inspections of all licensed providers, and annual fire, health and safety inspections of license-exempt, non-family providers.
- Technical assistance given to providers on effective business practices;
- De-linking provider reimbursement from absence policies that destabilize the cost of care for both families and providers;
- Extended subsidy eligibility re-determination periods (12 months);
- A new emphasis on technical assistance to providers around effective business practices, and
- Increased investment in program quality, with additional activities that include wage incentives, tiered reimbursement, Quality Rating and Improvement Systems, accreditation, and focus on school readiness.
For a summary of the bill, see our web site. Take Action today to send an email to your Senator and Representative!
Together we can make a difference, but only if our voice is heard! Take Action!